Saturday, August 12, 2006

Hiking at Anacapa Island (One of Channel Islands)

Today, my parents and I finally got a chance to hike at one of the Channel Islands. We took a boat from the Island Packers, and went to visit the smallest island. Channel Islands are a bit north of Los Angeles and are accessible by boat (or plane, I suppose). Five of the islands are national parks. Anacapa Island, the one we went to hike, is also part of the national park and marine sanctuary.

It takes about an hour boat ride from Oxnard (Ventura county), 12 miles off the shore. It doesn't have much, and the hike is fairly easy. We took a guided tour part of the way, and hiked by ourselves rest of the way.

The views were quite amazing... ocean vistas no matter where you go. The boat ride itself was rather choppy most of the time, and I think I actually got a bit sea-sick!

Anyway, I liked the hike but I'll probably stick to more local hikes, what with the sea sickness and the cost of getting there. ;)

No comments: