Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Google Told Me to Use Their Competitor!

Yup, you read that right. I was pretty amused. I wonder if Google founders know about this?

You may have noticed that I now have Google's ad on this blog. Figured it doesn't hurt to make a little money. I recently deleted my mailshell.com account (long story and worthy of another blog post), and that affected kzillion sites where I had mailshell email as login. Including Google's AdSense.

So I emailed them and requested that they change to my gmail.com account. After all, it's all Google, right? WRONG. This is what they emailed me (I'm not making it up).

"Hi Haeji,

"Thanks for your email requesting a change to your AdSense login.

"Unfortunately, I'm not able to update your AdSense login to a Google
Account or a Gmail address because our system doesn't support this type of
change at the moment. I sincerely apologize for the trouble this causes
you, and I thank you for bearing with us as we work hard to extend this
option to AdSense publishers in the future.

"I can, however, update your AdSense login to a non-Gmail address or any
other address not associated with another Google product. You can simply

reply to this email, providing the desired email address in the body of
your response, and I'll take care of your request as soon as I'm able."

It smacked me of being silly (doesn't it to you??). They pretty much told me to use any of Google's competitor's email to access part of Google product. Talk about left hand not talking to right hand. Anyway, I don't get enough money from ads anyway, so I'm gonna wait to see if they fix this in a month or so. If not, I intend to write to Google's CEO and founders, cc'ing Yahoo's CEO and founders, that they are telling me to go to their competitor. (I figure Yahoo! would get a kick out of it.)



No comments: