Sunday, November 16, 2008

Peru and Machu Picchu -- Post 2

Continuing with my pictures from Peru and Machu Picchu:

That's Wainapichu (sp?) where the sun is shining. It's supposedly 1.5 hour hike... which my cousin and I did not do. What can I say? I'm weak.

Machu Picchu against the backdrop of Wainapichu.

That's my cousin and me!


The terraces were used for farming and agriculture. They are layered terraces so that there wouldn't be erosion problem.


Condor room. On the ground is the condor (beak and face) and 2 slanted rocks represent the wings.

The tour guide explained that Inca Indians built (and this is true of other Inca buildings, not just Machu Picchu) buildings, windows, and doors in trapezoidal shape so that they can withstand earthquakes. This is just an example.

Machu Picchu is built on mountain top. It's incredibly high up. The sides are terraces where Inca Indians farmed. At the top, there are houses and schoolhouses. And in the middle, was this big field.

An example of Inca Indians' incredible engineering.

Machu Picchu with mountains surrounding it.

I have way too many more pictures to post. But I'm getting sleepy (because apparently, I'm still jet lagged!). I posted tips about Machu Picchu at 43places.com. I will repost here in another post. Then I'm going to sleep and hope that this work week won't kill me.

2 comments:

megat said...

your picture very beautiful and make me excited. Congratulation!!

Anonymous said...

So beautiful. I'll go ther if there's chance.