Monday, November 17, 2008

Peru and Machu Picchu -- Post 4

You didn't think I was done with pictures, did you? ;) Here are some more pictures:

Machu Picchu had pretty good irrigation system. This is just one tiny example of where water could've flown.


Steps going up part of Machu Picchu. I was very exhausted... apparently, I need to be in better shape!


I made it a goal to reach the thatched house at the top of Machu Picchu sanctuary ruins. Once we got there, we saw lots of llamas just grazing about.


Apparently, these llamas know how to use steps to get from one level to the next!


Picture of Machu Picchu from the thatched house...

From the window of thatched house. Pretty nice view to wake up to if you lived there. ;)


These nuns had the best spot -- shades and best vantage point of Machu Picchu from the side of the thatched house.

Inca steps/stones jutted out as stairs so that you can go from one layered terrace to the next. My cousin went up those steps.
My cousin jumping. =)

So across from the thatched house, there are terraces and this is the top terrace. On a whim, I decided to do some carwheels down this nice patch of grass and run up and down. I think my cousin took pictures of me cartwheeling... hee hee.

That's Machu Picchu and Wainapicchu. You can see it's sitting at the mountain top. It's a pretty steep drop down if you fall...

Irrigation system that's on the terraces to water crops.


A "street" between houses and buildings in Machu Picchu.

Water started flowing through the waterway in the afternoon.

And you could see how the water flowed from one level to the next and to wells.


The last parting shot of Machu Picchu before leaving.

No comments: