Monday, June 01, 2009

Persevering... to Cut Off Cable Service

Apparently it takes a lot to discontinue service. Recently, I switched from Cox Cable to ATT. I have issues with both services, but for now, I am going with the cheaper alternative (i.e. cheaper of the two evils?). Plus, ATT is giving me a free DVR service to boot so I can record the French Open.

So today, after verifying with ATT that my telephone number has transferred to ATT, I called up Cox to cancel my service. As customary these days, I went through some sort of automated dialogue. After determining that I wanted to cancel, the computer put me on hold. I promptly put the hold on speaker phone and got my dinner ready. Then I watched the World News on ABC. And then I started watching a re-run of Two and a Half Man. It took nearly 45 minutes before a live representative got on the phone so I can cancel Cox Cable.

I was tempted at times to just hang up and call early tomorrow morning. But I was determined. At some point after 10-15 minutes, I decided -- I must persevere. I will not let Cox win its battle and get more money from me by psyching me out to get me to hang up by putting me on a long hold. And lo and behold ... I won! It is I that is triumphant! My determination not to give up... not to cut off that really really annoying music by hanging up... to suffer through 45 minutes of muffled music that distracted from concentrated TV watching experience...ahhhh. It felt good to know that the representative had to get to me. The representative tried to tell me I was a fool for switching. But I didn't care. After THAT long of a hold? Why would I want to change my mind to go back to Cox? Do you hear that Cox? I WON the battle of perseverance! =P

2 comments:

James Shaw said...

Dang. You blog a lot.

Sorry you had to wait that long to cancel. I went to AT&T but their internet service was not as reliable as Cox, and the DVR was such a distraction (found myself watching a lot more TV), so I switched back to Cox and basic cable :P.

haeji said...

Hee hee hee. Well, I hope I have discipline... DVR is rather convenient. ;)