Sunday, August 16, 2009

Interesting Sites.. Which Ones Last?

So when I read an article or blog or something where someone mentions a new company/website that seems interesting, I bookmark it. Sometimes I would go back and really use it quite often. (www.librarything.com). Other times, I would go back once in a blue moon to see why I bookmarked certain sites.

Inevitably, I find quite a lot of sites that got a lot of splash initially are now dead. There were sites promising better "bookmarking" capability. Markaboo.com was one, and it appears it's not live anymore because I can't get to it. Online karaoke (www.singshot.com) tugged my heart (being a singer and all) but alas, it also seems to be dead. And what about teleflip.com? Seemed like a good idea...to be able to text from your email for free. And I used it a couple of times... tricking people into thinking I was texting from my phone (and cause quite a lot of confusion apparently when they tried to text back). Alas, also dead.

What is not dead, however, is www.zoho.com. This is started off as free online word processing website and it appears to have grown. WAY before Google doc's and Microsoft's own minimal online version. And now the editing function for the word processor appears richer than when it first came out. There's footnote/endnote function (it didn't when I first reviewed it quite a few years back). The buttons are intuitive. And yes, it can be shared online with others so you can have collaboration. Zoho has pretty much all office products online. I'm so glad it's still alive... because it kicks butt and it is one of the original creator of online word processing software (www.ajaxwriter.com appears to be dead... ).

A lot of music sites appear to be still around too. amiestreet.com is still around, which is awesome. Unlike Amazon.com or iTunes with set prices for each mp3's, buyers price the music. Well, technically, demand sets the price for the music. If lots of people purchase the music, the price goes up. If not a lot of people purchase, well, it starts at $0 so I guess it remains free. So NO set price! If you pay $0.98, that means people really like it. It's true demand and supply forces at work to price the item. I think I'll go check out some music and buy some good undiscovered music... at bargain price (hopefully) ;)

1 comment:

Arvind said...

Thanks for your nice words on Zoho! Continue using Zoho :)

Stay tuned, we have lots more coming.