Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Finding Ways to Surf Faster

My attention has been devoted to my laptop recently to try to maximize power, disk space, and see if my use has been efficient.  I have plenty of things to do (uhhh bankruptcy work) but one of my drives keeps telling me I'm about to run out of space.  I also wanted to check if I can install Microsoft Windows 7 because, well, Vista is pretty darn slow.  

In the process, I deleted out some old programs.  I also got to see how much space some of the programs takes up.  Being ridiculously redundant that I am, I actually had 4 different web browsers -- Internet Explorer (came with the laptop), Mozilla Firefox, Opera, and Google Chrome.  My default browser I used was Firefox.  It was one of the innovative browsers that came out with tab browsing and was nimble.  Well, that was then.  In horror, I realized that Firefox and Chrome took up 40-60 megabites.  Opera takes up less than 8.  And despite Google's campaign that it's an insanely fast web browser, Opera is incredibly fast.  In fact, Opera even comes with Opera Turbo to kick up the speed if a site is too slow.  So being the rebel that I am (or so I like to pretend), I decided to take out Firefox in favor of Opera.  

Then I discovered new Yahoo! homepage can be customized.  It can be customized so that I can preview sites I normally brought up when I first open the web browser .. such as email sites (yes sites) and news sites.  Awesome!  Now I can go to one site -- Yahoo! -- and quickly preview all the sites I would normally tab through.  If I get emails I care to check, I will then click through to go to my email sites.  I also discovered iGoogle has similar customizing feature.  However, iGoogle is too busy because it comes up with pages with small preview panes of each sites, whereas Yahoo! interface is extremely clean.  

So last weekend was spend figuring out how to surf through computing world faster... so I can spend more time in the real world.  =)

No comments: