Sunday, October 18, 2009

San Diego Asian Film Festival

As a movie lover, I like to attend festivals especially if there is one held locally.  When I lived in the San Francisco bay area, I attended SF International Film Festival without fail.  San Diego scene is a bit smaller... but I'm always amused that there are more festivals than I know what to do with here.  Last month, I saw a few movies at the San Diego Film Festival, held at the downtown Pacific Theatre in San Diego.  Unfortunately, I felt the movies I saw were lesser quality than the movies I've seen in the last few years.  

Right now, San Diego Asian Film Festival is going on in San Diego from 10/15-10/29.  In festivals, you never know what you might like.  It's a hit or miss, and generally there's something you don't like seeing.  So far, though, I am delighted and really impressed by the quality of the movies I've seen.  I saw White on Rice, which was a hilarious movie about an unemployed, divorced Japanese man living with his sister's family in America.  One of the few films that actually made me laugh out loud this year.  I also saw The Things We Carry; it was an emotionally charged movie about sisters who had to deal with a mother who was addicted to drugs.  For a 77 minute film, it felt longer because of intense drama.  Hopefully, these movies will somehow make it out of the festivals and end up being shown more widely...because they definitely are better (funnier and more dramatic) than some bigger Hollywood movies I've seen.    

No comments: