Monday, January 03, 2011

Last Trip of 2010: Las Vegas - Valley of Fire

My family and I took a little trip to Las Vegas - to see a state park, Valley of Fire - over the holiday break. Because we don't gamble, it was actually a good trip. Lots of food (buffets at Cosmopolitan, Aria - i.e. new hotels), sleep, and nature.

Valley of Fire is a little ways out (about an hour drive) from Las Vegas. The park is quite striking; red rocks and sands in middle of brown/green mountains. Here are some pictures. Happy New Year!
Here's a little description of the park.

Reminded me in part of Arches park at Utah with all these red rocks!
We completely lucked out and saw this animal grazing by the side of the road. Can you tell what it is?


I didn't know petrified had another meaning until I saw this log. =P
Look, petrified log!

Can you see red rocks against green mountains?
We also saw petroglyphs. It's a day I learned a couple of new words, because I've never heard of petroglyphs either.

I figured all this out. It's a map to treasure buried somewhere in this park. ;)
And yes, I was there!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This look very similar to Namibia visit my page at http://nowinsouthafrica.blogspot.com/