Monday, August 08, 2011

Growing Up...

So I took a little hiatus from blogging, what with some personal stuff I had to go through. The hiatus gave me time to reflect, which might be what the federal government and S&P might also want to do.

Throughout the debt ceiling debate between Congress, the White House, the Republicans, the Democrats, the Tea-Party, and whoever else, there was only really one strong consensus from the American public. Stop with the political rhetoric and posturing and do the job. The bitter battle of words didn't interest the public. Knowing that the government will do the job did.

However bitter and long it took, at least the government actually passed something in time. (Well, then Congress immediately took off for a 6 week vacation, promising to work on jobs, and leaving FAA workers high and dry, which can be another post in itself)

In the meantime, S&P apparently was also disgusted by the government's failure to act in unity. So much so that S&P took it upon themselves to ignore the $2 trillion math error and that the U.S.A.'s debt ratio to GDP is on par with other AAA graded sovereign nations and downgraded the United States of America's credit rating has to be downgraded. Maybe it's not actually disgust but more political posturing on S&P's part as well. And maybe it's a bit more than all that according to this article but that's how I end up summing it.

I can't help but think that all of this reminds me of kids in the playground. You know, the screaming match of "it's mine, it's mine, I'm right, you're wrong" "ha ha I fooled you"... except by folks whose actions reach beyond a kid's playground.

Martin Luther King Jr. had a dream once -- and that dream came true. And I too now have a dream. I have a dream that one day, politicians and people who make major economic decisions will act for the good of the American people and not their parties or lobbyists. I have a dream that one day actions of such people will move Americans to sing praises for the unselfish work they did for the American public instead of taking vows to elect them all out. I hope I get to see that dream realized.

No comments: