Sunday, April 27, 2008

Eggs and Rice

So my previous posts were fictional work (to be updated from time to time). As I indicated before, I wanted to expand on the short story I wrote a while back to a novel or novella. And because I can't think of a whole lot of content for this blog to keep going, and I don't take pictures regularly to keep this blog going as a photoblog, I figured that's what I will be doing for the most part.

On the other hand... this is a blog of "randomness" soooo, if something catches my whim, I am making no excuses in stepping away from fiction writing business. ;)

So what caught my whim? I'm sure you are all reading about food scarcity, rise in price of rice, etc. these days. The Wall Street Journal recently had an article about how Costco and Sam's Club are limiting the sale of rice to one per customer. So I had to buy a bag of rice today... and I stopped by not Costco but Zion's Market, a Korean grocery store in San Diego. The price for 20 lb. bag of rice ranged from $10 to $20 (I bought one that was $12.99). Meaning, it's $0.50 per lb. to $1.00 per lb. Doesn't seem a lot except I remember being able to buy 20 lb. bag of rice for $5-10. That's $0.25 per lb. to $0.50 per lb. Quite an increase. Regardless of the steady increase in price of rice, I still eat it every day so I coughed up my money for a 20 lb. bag of Hanmi Rice.

But as consolation, I ended up getting free eggs from Trader Joe's! Sometimes, it helps to be oblivious. I didn't realize a packet of dozen eggs I picked up actually contained 11 eggs. So the cashier told me I could have it for free. =)

No comments: