Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Facebook Trumps Free Law School Outlines Resources

So you know in this day and age, people "google" you, you google them, you google yourself, and so on. And actually, career advices now include googling yourself and/or reviewing multitudes of social networking sites to make sure nothing unseemly pops up. So I googled myself today because it's been a while and I was curious if the results would be the same as before.

My first name is rather unusual. I used to think that it's unusual even for a Korean name. For quite a while now, if you googled just my first name, what comes up is this website I set up while I was in law school. During the mid to late 90's, websites were no more than homepages with a bunch of links to sites that people thought were cool. I figured a website with actual substance would be cooler and taught myself html by viewing various site codes to upload all my law school outlines. While I was attending those classes (it was brutal finishing and uploading them while preparing for finals). Granted it has all my short-hands, but if you know law school study methods, outlines are pretty much a necessity.

Because that website has been around for a long time (now over a decade), it has trumped a lot of other sites (even my blog) if you googled my name. Why? I think it's because over time a lot of other legal resource sites linked to my website as well (heck, it's free and I'm not even getting paid for ads on that site).

But today, I found out the price of not having a Facebook account -- a Facebook account of another person with my first name comes up as the first search result of google. Which made me laugh out loud ... because I'm rather amused that a social networking site should trump a site that tries to give some substance to others. But I guess it's an indication that Facebook is a lot more important than, say, free legal outlines.

More power to Facebook. And if you are curious, yes, I'm still rebelling and I am not getting a Facebook account.

No comments: