Monday, April 18, 2005

Reading, Disney on Ice, and Relaxing

Last Saturday afternoon, I went with my co-workers and their kids to see Disney on Ice. Totally corny and cheesy, but I liked the show (well, since I do like to watch figure skating, I'm probably biased). I didn't think that I could take pictures so I didn't bring my camera. Turns out, there were flashbulbs going off throughout the show. Some of the skaters didn't quite land their jumps but overall, it was pretty entertaining especially for the kids. At one point, they had Lion King song "Hakuna Matata" with Lion King characters on ice. It brought back memories of my law school days, when a classmate of mine sang "res judicata" to it. If you are not a lawyer, don't worry, you aren't missing much; it's just a concept in civil procedure that once an issue is decided, it's final. But the latin words sure fit well with Hakuna Matata song. ;)

Unfortunately, the outing took place at 3 p.m., Saturday. So I didn't really have time to go anywhere on Saturday and I was way too lazy to figure out where to go on Sundays. It doesn't help that not a lot of things are open on Sundays. So I enjoyed a nice relaxing, sunny weekend, catching up on some readings. I have this goal of doing another blog listing all the books I read with essays/critiques of them. Hopefully, I will get to start it this week. I finished "A Pale View of Hills" by Kazuo Ishiguro and "The Kite Runner" by by Khaled Hosseini over the weekend. Both were beautifully crafted books; A Pale View unfolding tension and drama through its deceptively understated dialogues and The Kite Runner through its heartaching plot line.

This coming weekend, I am flying back home to Los Angeles. The Alabama state government celebrates Confederate Memorial Day on April 25, and I am quite happy to use the extra 3 day holiday to be back in California for a little while. :) I intend to take advantage of 8.75% sales tax in California to buy some new clothes (Montgomery's sales tax is 10%! Rather ironic to me).

No comments: