Thursday, August 11, 2005

Leaving Frisco, Colorado and Colorado National Monument

So it turns out that we were staying at quite a beautiful, pituresque place -- Frisco. We were right next to the Dillon Lake, which mirrored the surrounding mountains and was brimming with wild flowers, bugs, and birds. My sister and I took a short walk in the morning before taking off for Colorado National Monument.

On our way to Colorado National Monument on I-70 West, we drove through Glenwood Canyons. It was quite a majestic view of the varied rock formations and different from verdant, green mountains surrounding Frisco and Vail. We also passed by Grand Mesa, which was near Grand Junction and very visible. It is supposedly the largest flat-topped mountains.

We saw Colorado National Monument by driving through the Rim Rock Drive. It was a breath-taking 23 mile drive. Gazing at canyons over 500 feet deep, I was quite awed by what the nature could have in store for us. Wherever we stopped, we took in the view in absolute silence -- we heard no birds, bugs, etc. I had to break the silence by seeing if I could create an echo through these canyons. And I did...and apparently, some other visitors I didn't see heard me and asked me if I was the one yelling. I guess we weren't really completely alone.

So I have a digital camera with a memory stick of 256 mb. What does that mean? It means I can take a lot of pictures. I took over 180 pictures yesterday of the Rocky Mountains and over 140 today of Colorado National Monument. Yup, I sifted through them to pick what I thought were the best. =)

Oh, and an addendum to one of the old blog re: blowing through Kansas on I-70. Part of the I-70 was marked by AAA as being tolled. We paid $2 toll to pass through a stretch of 30 miles between Kansas City and another city (which name escapes me). I thought that was quite odd, because we couldn't see why the toll was needed!

Tomorrow, we are going to see the Arches National Park.

No comments: