Monday, August 08, 2005

Moving out West!

I am on the road! After packing my car to the brim and cleaning my apartment, my sister and I got a late start (11:30 A.M.) on Sunday. I wanted to see the Smoky Mountains before leaving the South. So we headed north to Gatlinburg, Tennessee. We ended up staying at a Comfort Inn, with an awesome view of the river from our balcony. We crashed last night after an exhausting day.

This morning, we drove into the Great Smoky Mountains via Newfound Gap Road (aka US 441). Unfortunately, it was a rainy morning, with fogs here and there. But the views of the Smoky Mountains were still incredible.

We then drove through Knoxville and Nashville Tennessee. We barreled through Kentucky and drove through Illinois. We got to our destination for today, St. Charles, Missouri, a little west of St. Louis, Missouri. We passed through quite a few rivers – Tennessee, Ohio, Missouri, and Mississippi. And we passed through many cities with names that were familiar to us – Lebanon, Cairo, Egypt, Carthage, Sparta, West Hills (where my parents live in California), Nashville (Illinois!), etc. I guess it’s hard to name a town. ;)

Tomorrow, we plan to end up in Denver, Colorado by passing through Missouri and Kansas. And we may be spending a couple of days there sightseeing before heading west again.

I have to observe that:
(1) I don't see that many cars on the road but the cars I see, a lot of them are filled to the brim and looking as if they were also moving cross country. I guess not many take roadtrips unless they have to??
(2) Tennessee drivers are SLOW! But we figured out it's because there are kzillion cops patrolling and ticketing people. So when in Rome, do as Romans do... I had to slow down to 70-75mph. And I may be in for another slow drive in Missouri because I was breezing past people at 65 mph in St. Louis!
(3) I have a beef with Kentucky for not putting up a "Welcome to Kentucky" sign. It would have been nice to know when I crossed another state. Would've been a nice pic to add to my kzillion digital pic collection.
(4) Verizon does not have a complete coverage across the U.S.
(5) Some big rig trucks have more than one license plate... why? I have yet to figure that out.

Ok. So until next time I can get internet access!

2 comments:

Gene said...

If you make a pit stop at KC, lemme know and I will so book a last minute flight out there.

But only if we steal toothbrushes.

haeji said...

hee hee. as you can see, i blew through kc. didn't even get to call pilsoon. but i figure he's busy w/wedding stuff. but next feb. we are totally crashing his place!