Sunday, March 06, 2005

Old Cahawba Archaeological Park and Selma

So, I visited Old Cahawba Archaeological Park and Selma on Saturday, March 5, 2005. I unfortunately had too many chores (laundry, grocery shopping, mundane everyday things) that kept me from visiting Selma today, which was a shame (I'll explain more below).

Old Cahawba was the first permanent state capitol of Alabama. If you remember, I noted that Huntsville was the first capital city of Alabama before. Apparently, though, Cahawba was the first permanent capital city of Alabama from 1819-1826. It was an undeveloped town when designated as the capital city, and the Alabama legislature temporarily functioned out of Huntsville. Now, it's a ghost town. The town sits by Alabama River and is quite picturesque. But it fell to ruin by 1900. Flood in 1865 didn't help, and people moved to nearby city of Selma. Most buildings were burned, moved, or gone. Today, Alabama Historical Commission runs this as an archaeological site.

Please note that in my pictures below I refer to "Negro burial ground," not because I endorse the name, but that was apparently how it was identified in the early maps of Cahawba.

Selma is only 25-30 minutes away from Cahawba. I was rather excited to visit this city because this weekend, they were re-enacting the famous civil rights march from Selma to Montgomery. Unfortunately, on Saturday, it was simply a street fair with lots of music, food, vendors, arts, etc. The re-enactment took place today to commemorate the Bloody Sunday. Thus, I didn't get to participate. Shame on me. Anyway, I did get to go through the National Voting Rights Museum and see the famous Edmund Pettus Bridge.

I also visited Sturdivant Hall. It is a beautiful antebellum mansion, and I managed to take a few pictures inside. ;) All the antique furniture in the mansion was donated from various folks. Included is a very old grandfather's clock from late 1700's, one of six clocks that was made to commemorate George Washington's inauguration, and artwork from Clara Weaver Parrish.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi,
Did you know that Sturdivant Hall is supposed to be haunted? John McGee Parker, the former owner, is supposed to be haunting Sturdivant.