Monday, March 28, 2005

Talladega Scenic Drive and Cheaha Mountain

This past weekend was rather interesting. The morning to mid-afternoon of Saturday was gorgeous, with sunny skies. I drove to Talladega National Forest to take the scenic route, highway 281. Apparently, it's best to drive there during spring and fall. Unfortunately, I think I went too early because a lot of the trees were still pretty bare.

Cheaha mountain in the state park is the highest point (2,407 feet above sea level) in Alabama. It's the part of the Appalachian Mountain range. Cheaha means "high place" in Native American (they don't tell me which tribe).

The drive back via highway 9 was also picturesque. I passed a lot of open fields, houses far apart with yards and yards of grounds between. I couldn't resist taking a picture of the cows. ;)

But starting Saturday and into Sunday, we had the most miserable weather. I woke up to tornado sirens going off at 3 in the morning! On the whole, I was quite glad I got to enjoy the pretty weather before being stuck indoors the rest of the weekend.

I haven't decided whether I'm going anywhere this coming weekend, because I'm going to see a play -- Cat on a Hot Tin Roof. If time permits, I'll try to get myself out and about.

No comments: